South African Hunters
Clients will fly into O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg. From there you will need to take a connecting flight to Port Elizabeth. Your professional hunter will await you at Port Elizabeth airport to transfer you to camp.
Please make sure that you have at least two and a half hours lay over at Johannesburg airport. It take some time to clear customs and to transfer from international to domestic departures, especially when travelling with guns.
Clients will fly into Hosea Kutako International Airport in Windhoek. Clients need to arrange that their flights arrive no later than 14H00. The North and South camps are 5 hours from Windhoek and the areas are very wild. Clients will not be transported to camp so late. If you cannot arrange a flight to arrive prior to this time you will need to book a hotel for the night. Your Professional Hunter will collect you from the hotel in the morning.
TEMPORARY IMPORTS OF FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION INTO SOUTH AFRICA.
We recommend you log onto the official South African Police website www.saps.gov.za for finer details regarding the temporary import of your rifle or www.professionalhunters.co.za for advice and details. Below, we have summarized the basics:
In order to get a temporary import permit for your rifles and ammunition you will need to complete a (SAP 520) form which you can either get from us or from either website mentioned above. It is advisable to fill out this form before hand to save time. There are additional requirements along with the SAP 520 form, which are as follows:
- Certified Copy of your Passport
- Copy of your airline tickets or itinerary
- VERY IMPORTANT! Proof of Ownership of the rifle. For USA citizens, you need to have a 4457 form stamped by your local authorities, which should be available at your nearest airport.
- Proof that your firearms have been legally exported. Again, for USA citizens, the 4457 form is acceptable, and for non-USA citizens, either an official export permit or a letter from a government agency of residence will be accepted.
- Invitation Letter from the Hunting Outfitter which we will provide you.
- Motivation Letter from Client. A short letter to say that you will be hunting with the rifle for the duration of your stay and it will ONLY be used for the purpose of hunting under your PH's guide.
All of this information is on the SAPS website and if you just follow the steps you should have no problem getting your firearms and ammunition into South Africa.VERY IMPORTANT!! Do not sign the SAPS 520 form. It must be signed in front of the police official issuing the actual permit at the airport. The form must be filled in black ink.
Professional Hunter's Association of South Africa (PHASA), offer a service which costs $120.00 and they apply for your temporary import permit beforehand, so that when you arrive, it is all sorted out. For more information on this service, log onto their website, www.professionalhunters.co.za or contact them at email@example.com
On the websites, you will also find the regulations on the actual rifle/s you want to bring in i.e:
- Automatic or Semi-Automatic rifles, pistols or revolvers are not allowed into South Africa.
- You may not bring out two or more of the same calibers.
- No more than 200 rounds of ammunition per person, per firearm, are permitted.
- All ammunition needs to be in a lockable ammo box and transported in your checked luggage.
- You must be older than 21years to be able to obtain a Temporary Import Permit.
Also available through Dallas Safari Club, is Hunterís Air 2000 support. They can arrange weapon storage, temporary import and intransit firearm permits, a meet and greet service for incoming hunters at both Cape Town and Johannesburg.
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org or www.hunterssupport.com or www.air-2000.com
VERY IMPORTANT!! If you decide to use Hunter's Air 2000 or PHASA, you need to have a copy of your passport and 4457 form notarized or certified before posting all the information to them.
If you wish to avoid all the legalities, we do have rifles for rental at $30-00 per day, and ammunition at cost between $2 and $3 .
Safari Club International
Safari Club International is the largest hunting organization in the world. We would highly recommend that you join if you are not a member. Once you are a member you can enter all your animals into the S.C.I. record book. You will receive a copy of the Safari Times once a month and a publication of the Safari magazine every two months. You will also be able to fill in a hunt report form after every hunt which will be published in the safari times.
Safari Club International - click to view